Wednesday, 7 November 2012

I have decided to follow Jesus

Although the hymn “I have Decided to Follow Jesus” is well-known amongst Christians, the history of the hymn may not quite as well-known.

The lyrics are based on the last words of a man in Assam, NE India, who was converted to Christianity along with his family in the mid-1800’s through the efforts of a Welsh missionary.

When told by the village chief to renounce his faith, the convert declared, “I have decided to follow Jesus.”  In response to threats to his family, he continued, “Though no one joins me, still I will follow.”

His wife was then killed, and he was executed while singing, “The cross before me, the world behind me.”  This display of faith is reported to have led to the conversion of the chief and others in the village.


What a challenge it is for the Christians of today!  How many of us would be able to say FROM THE HEART, “I have decided to follow Jesus. Though no one joins me, still I will follow. The cross before me, the world behind me”, even we know it will cost us our lives?

For the Christians living here in Australia, we don’t face the same persecution as many other Christians in other countries do – like having to literally give up our life for the Lord, but we do face a different sort of persecution……..a more subtle form of persecution that will do us more harm than if people were outright killing us…..it is the persecution of gradually wearing down our spiritual senses so we become deadened to spiritual things, and then we are slowly pulled into the world.   THIS is what we are facing today, and we need just as much courage to stand up and say “I have decided to follow Jesus. Though no one joins me, still I will follow.  The cross before me, the world behind me” in the world that we are living in, because we will get mocked, and even rejected because we ARE Christians.

But don’t let the possibility of being mocked, rejected, etc scare you from telling people that you ARE a Christian……don’t hide your light from the world, but set it upon a hill (Matthew 5:16), because the Lord will bless you for it, and the rewards we receive from the Lord are FAR greater than anything we will receive here on earth.

So, will you stand up and tell people that you have decided to follow Jesus, and that you will continue to follow Him even if no one else joins you?
--Bethany

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this challenging post, Beth!

    ReplyDelete