Thursday, 18 April 2013

Compassion


Compassion is definitely something that each and every one of us appreciate receiving – but so few of us can truly say that we are really compassionate towards those with whom we meet in our daily lives.

Compassion can be described as “a feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for another who is stricken by misfortune, accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate the suffering.” (source unknown). 

Can this be said of you, whenever you see someone who is suffering – are you moved by such deep sympathy and sorrow for them, that you are driven by that sorrow to do something to relieve their pain?  Or are you the sort of person who will just ignore the sufferings of another, and just pass by – pretending that you never noticed?

I was recently convicted about my own level of compassion, and I saw that all too often, I will just ignore those who are suffering – I might just say a word of compassion to them, expressing my sorrow at their pain, but then pass on, and once they are out of sight, I’ll quickly forget what I just saw.

What brought it home to me was John chapter 9 – Jesus healing the blind man…..when Christ stopped and healed this man, He was actually on the run for His life.  If you read in the last part of John 8, the Pharisees were just about to stone Christ, and He was able to get out of the temple, and while He was escaping, He saw this blind man. 

I know that for me, if I was in that situation – I would just be running as fast as I could to get away from that temple and from those Pharisees….who cares about that blind man?!  But Jesus didn’t think that way – He had no thought of His own life, or about the fact that there were some very angry Pharisees on His heels – He saw a man in need, and He acted in compassion on that need, and gave that man healing – not only physical healing, but also spiritual healing.

That really caused me to think – what is my response to those around me, particularly the unsaved?  They are spiritually blind, and need just as much healing as the blind man of John 9.    But I so quickly just pass them by and just ignore them….more concerned with my own life, then showing compassion on them, and bringing them to the Saviour who will restore sight unto them!

Throughout all 4 Gospels, we see Christ showing compassion again and again to those around Him, and in most instances, His compassionate heart towards the unsaved resulted in the unsaved repenting and following Him!

As you look at the life of Christ, you will find that it doesn’t take much to show compassion towards someone – even something as simple as feeding the hungry, can have lasting results!

So may I encourage each and every one of you to try and show compassion to those around you today!  Even if it’s only one simple act – helping an elderly person carry their heavy bags, helping a younger sibling finish their chores, surprise your mother by doing the washing for her, or by doing the dirty dinner dishes without having to be asked!  These are simple, easy tasks that can be done in very little time – but oh the results that can come forth as a result!! 

With much love in Christ,
Bethany
xoxo

1 comment: